Blackwork Butterfly – Spectral Kit
$21.23 – $49.25 USD
The Spectral Butterfly blackwork design is an intermediate design in my blackwork art embroidery kits.
In the kit I provide a detailed instruction booklet with 21 pages of step-by-step diagrams and instructions on how to work the tacking, each blackwork pattern and the outlines on the butterfly.
The Spectral Butterfly blackwork design is an intermediate design in my blackwork art embroidery kits. Blackwork is a counted form of hand embroidery in which interesting blackwork patterns are worked on the wings, body and flight trail and then areas outlined with metal threads such as pearl purl and twist.Once you receive the kit you will transfer the outline of the design onto the counted fabric in the tissue paper transfer method by tracing the outline onto a piece of tissue paper, pinning the tissue paper to the fabric and then working a basting stitch (tacked line) along all the design lines. The tissue paper is ripped away leaving tacked design lines on the fabric and then you work the blackwork patterns with-in the tacked design lines. The tacking is removed once the embroidery is complete.
This is a much more fun and easier method than working the pattern directly from a set chart as there is more versatility where each pattern can be worked so is less complicated to work. Each blackwork butterfly will come out slightly different making the butterfly unique to you and you will have a piece of stitched art that you you will be proud of.
The spectral butterfly is intermediate of my blackwork designs not intended to be worked on 14 or 16 count Aida, so you should be able to count on 28 count or 32 count fabric. A stitching light and magnification are an asset to work the embroidery. If you are not sure if the technique is for you, you could try the Introductory to Blackwork -Small Blackwork Butterfly first which is quicker and easier to work.
I am offering free on-going critique with this kit…..you can email me at any time if you have questions or would like me to critique your embroidery.
Description of Fabric Types:
The count of a fabric is the amount of threads there are per inch of the fabric. The more threads there are per inch the harder it will be to see the holes in the fabric.
- 28 Count Lugana: 52% cotton and 48% Rayon. The fabric has even weave threads (all threads are the same thickness). The patterns come out more even on the even weave fabric compared to the linen fabric.
- 28 Count Cashel Linen: 100% Linen. The fabric has uneven weave threads (threads are different thicknesses) giving a natural look.
- 32 Count Lugana: 52% cotton and 48% Rayon. The fabric has even weave threads (all threads are the same thickness). The patterns come out more even on the even weave fabric compared to the linen fabric.
- 32 Count Belfast Linen: 100% Linen. The fabric has uneven weave threads (threads are different thicknesses) giving a natural look.
- 28 Count Fabric: 7 3/8 inches (18 1/2 cm) high by 7 3/8 inches (18 1/2 cm) wide
- 32 Count Fabric: 6 1/2 inches (15 1/2 cm) high by 6 1/2 inches (15 1/2 cm) wide
- Instruction Booklet
- Tissue Paper
- A Piece of Counted Fabric 14 inches (35 cm) Square
- One Skein of Black YLI Silk Thread
- One Skein of Black DMC Embroidery Cotton
- Red Polyester Sewing Thread
- Brown Polyester Sewing Thread
- Gold Very Fine Pearl Purl
- Copper No. 1 Twist
- Silver #9 and #14 Spangles
- One Size 20 Tapestry Needle
- One Size 26 Tapestry Needle
- One Size 28 Tapestry Needle
- One Size 10 Crewel Embroidery Needle
|Dimensions||37 × 27 × 0.9 cm|
|Blackwork Spectral Butterfly|
Kit with Instruction Booklet – Antique White 28 Count Lugana Fabric, Kit with Instruction Booklet – Antique White 28 Count Cashel Linen Fabric, Kit with Instruction Booklet – Antique White 32 Count Lugana Fabric, Kit with Instruction Booklet – Antique White 32 Count Belfast Linen Fabric, Instruction Booklet for 28 Count Fabric – Hard Copy, Instruction Booklet for 32 Count Fabric – Hard Copy